Pages

Sunday 12 November 2017

Shock horror - it's the return of the 80s


I think that the 80s may be having a comeback but not in the way that I thought....

Help! Whenever I go into Whistles I'm strangely drawn to this Iva Casual Colourblock Puffa (£149). In reality, it's called the "Colorblock" Puffa but I can't bring myself to type the word "Color". Maybe I'm showing my age but it's just not right - and Whistles, if you're listening, that's not how we spell "colour".

I think that the reason that I like this jacket is for reasons of nostalgia. It reminds me of the Kappa cagoules that all the lads at school wore in the 1980s. Do you remember those? Together with the Sergio Tacchini tops that they wore? Although having said that, most of the boys at my school were idiots.I also find it quite funny that 80s fashion is having a revival. But it's not so much the lace fingerless gloves, the fluoro leg warmers, or the frosted lipstick "Bananarama/Madonna/Kylie style" that are being worn.  Rather, the girls are adopting the clothes that the boys wore in the 80s, which to be honest is quite refreshing.

Or look! You can go to Topshop and get a Fila Sweatshirt (£55). Does anyone remember Fila? I have a Fila watch. A boyfriend bought it for me and he turned out to be a right arse. But the watch was nice. Although to be honest I haven't worn it for years - literally tens of years.  Maybe I should dig it out again.


Or, heavens above, look at this track top by Adidas from Topshop (£52). I'm not kidding, my husband has one of these that he bought recently. Really recently I hate to admit. I try to ban him from wearing it but I thought that he might "just" get away with it at the 9 year olds gym competition today. I may have to eat my words. And borrow it. Obviously I won't be telling him that he has something in his wardrobe that may be considered vaguely cool.


To be honest, I'm not quite sure that I'm ready for all of this. Coats that the boys at school wore in the 80s having a moment? And (even more shocking) my husband having something vaguely trendy in his wardrobe? Girls wearing Kappa tracksuit bottoms in nightclubs, where before they wouldn't have been seen in anything other than the shortest and tightest of dresses with the highest of heels (I've witnessed it!) It's more than my brain can take on a Sunday night. Next everyone will be pinching VW emblems from cars and wearing them Beastie Boy style.


Image from definitely motoring