Pages

Monday 17 August 2015

Using the Online Colour Analysis Service by Donna at " I won't wear sludge brown"



Donna says: "Navy is actually in everyone's colour palette" - phew, that's a huge sigh of relief from me!

A few months ago I read about an Online Colour Analysis service offered by Donna over at I won't wear sludge brown and more recently I thought that it would be fun to write about it on here.

But before we start, my own approach to people and their colours when styling them can generally be summed up as follows:

  • The colours at either end of the spectrum - ie black or white - are probably the hardest colours to wear next to your face and most people don't think twice about wearing those colours, so let's not get too hung up on which colours do and don't work;
  • We all have a fairly good instinct for which colours work for us. For example, whilst previously I didn't know exactly which colours were "my" colours, I knew that certain neutrals and certain yellows and greens made me look as though I belonged in a coffin;
  • Whilst colour is an important feature of a piece of clothing, it is only one of about five important features, the others being fabric, fit, shape, washing instructions and cost. Dressing head to toe in colours that are right for you is fine but if the outfit is  made of nylon, in a shape from the 80's and it's two sizes too small, it's going to look pants, irrespective of the colour being perfect;
  • A good lippy, or a scarf or necklace, in a colour which you know suits you can work wonders with a top that is in a less than perfect colour for you.


Donna says "I absolutely adore the teal on you, it's so right on every level, really complimenting your own colouring."

That aside, I had always had a little niggling voice that wondered which colours, exactly, would be right for me, so I contacted Donna to ask her if she would be happy to undertake an Online Colour Analysis for me and also to ask whether she would mind me writing about the process. Luckily she agreed on both counts. 



Donna says: "This is a fabulous example of how to add one of your secondary palette colours to your outfit to bring it alive. The orange really does warm up the navy which can be quite a flat colour." [I have a friend to thank for the scarf - she has a fab eye!]


Before we started I explained my approach to colours and found, to my amazement, that we were singing from the same hymn sheet. This which was very refreshing as in the past I have come across colour consultants who were very rigid in their approach which I found limiting and slightly old fashioned. Donna's final words to her report were these:  "Remember, don't be a slave to the rules. It will make you completely miserable." Words to my ears! 

So this is how Donna's Colour Analysis Service worked;
  • Donna emailed me and asked me to send a couple of selfies over - make up free and in natural day light. Now I must admit that this was pretty horrific - more for her having to take a look at the results rather than for me having to take them in the first place. Luckily the 7 year old chose to photo bomb them which gave a much better result;
  • I completed a short questionnaire sent over by Donna which addressed my current hair colour, my natural hair colour, how easily I tan, my eye colour and so on;
  • Two days later Donna sent a report through. I cannot tell you how excited I was to see it ping into my in box. It's not that often in life that we get something that is tailor made for us and which contains information that we can use on a daily basis. It was like receiving a pair of handmade shoes - or I imagine it is - but without the cost. The report covered my personal colour palette, my neutrals, my fashion colours, how to wear my colours, how to rescue colours that aren't in my palette and so much more besides. Donna also attached images of the colours that would suit me and advised me that I could order the colour swatches from Colour Me Beautiful.
  • A day or so later I called Donna to ask her about a couple of things that had occurred to me whilst reading the report. During that conversation it very quickly became apparent that she is a lady who not only knows her stuff but that she knows it inside out.  She whizzed around the world of colours and we chatted away as if it was second nature to her. It's clear that there isn't anything that she doesn't know about the world of colour!

Donna says: "As I’ve mentioned, white is a strong colour hence the reason why some palettes find it difficult to wear. I love the red on you too - you really should wear it more often!" (Noted).


Am I happy that I used Donna's service? Absolutely I am! Already I've used the knowledge that she's given me on several occasions, not least when it came to choosing some clothing for an up and coming post with Marks and Spencer. Will I be a slave to my colours? Definitely not but when I'm not, I will know it and I will be able to make the necessary adjustments to my outfits so that things work as well for me as they can. Will it mean that I try different colours? Definitely, safe in the knowledge that I'm heading down the right track but always with Donna's words ringing in my ears. Oh and for the record, I may well be wearing more sludge brown!


Note: Try as I might, Donna wouldn't let me pay her for her service but I would have happily paid her fee of £35, plus some, for the work that she did and the advice that she has given.  


Donna says: "I feel that you could probably add a slightly brighter coloured top or scarf to this coat to really make the most of it." - Yes, I agree!