Pages

Thursday 6 February 2014

My best friend...a slightly different post, written with the aim of helping someone...



77 Diamonds is celebrating all of the diamond best friends out there this Valentine's Day, so they have asked me to blog about what makes my best friend so special. The winning blog post, as judged by the co-owner of 77 Diamonds, will win a £1000 gift card.

I don't often enter competitions but I decided to enter this one for two reasons. First, best friends are incredibly special and deserve to be recognised as often as possible, and this competition gives me the chance to do just that.

Secondly, a gift card for such a generous amount could be used to make a huge difference to someone's life, so I decided to take the opportunity of trying to win it so that I can make that difference - I'm not quite sure how yet - that may have to come later!

My best friend....

You were with me as we laughed through school, joined at the hip, the terrible duo. At ballet class we danced our hearts out in our stripy leotards, footless tights and leg warmers, the height of 80's chic. We bopped away at University discos, tried to fix each other's broken hearts and grew up together. At Law School we bonded over trips to Jigsaw and desperately longed for the lectures to stop, so that we could eat flapjack in the canteen. You scooped me up off the floor in London when the going got tough and took me all the way to Cornwall for a weekend away.  On my first day in a new job, in a City familiar to you, you embraced me into your life and shared your friends with me. With our babes in arms, we shared bleary eyed trips to playgroups and through holidays, fizz and chats we have been there for one another. A friend who cared for our baby when no nursery could and a friend who, despite her busy life, never forgets to text to see how we are (and who makes amazing cakes!) Oh how we laugh at the daily trials of life - a ray of sunshine during a busy day. Our Monday night runs keeps us healthy of body and mind. We are together every night before we go to bed and every morning when we wake up (unless you have been replaced by a small child!)

Like the 58 facets of a brilliantly cut diamond, my best friend is multi-faceted. My best friend is made up of the memories, anecdotes and daily exchanges of, and with, the special people I have met throughout my life. Not all of them are with me everyday but none of them are ever far away and, in times of need, I know that every one of them is there for me, as I am for them.