Pages

Tuesday 12 February 2013

Why Topshop is currently my top shop....

Just look at that! The models in the window display at Topshop have taken inspiration for their hair colour from Helen Mirren!
 
 
 
 
Today I had an hour to myself so whizzed around the shops to see what was what. Zara still had some sale remnants which they really need to get rid of now. Everyone has just had enough, not least the staff. Their new stock is nothing to write home about yet - lots of yellow/orange and black and white - but it's early days yet. Cos was OK but a bit bland. French Connection looked too bodycon to even bother with. Just looking through the window gave me stomach ache (it was the thought of that suck-you-in underwear!) Ted Baker had a whole selection of pieces in lovely colours but I find it really expensive and All Saints had some nice pieces but I'm trying to steer away from black and navy. 
 
Topshop however - it really came up with the goods. There was colour, print, great styles and fab jewellery. I was like a kid in a sweetshop. I know some feel a bit intimidated in Topshop but as with any store, if you go in first thing when it's empty, it feels less scary than the full on Saturday afternoon experience. Sorry for the lack of links - hopefully the pics will allow you to identify anything that you like.
 
So first off, I love the colours in this coat. It's just so different and would add a real lift to your wardrobe for the spring. The yellow is a bit crayon like, if you know what I mean. I think that it was £79.
 

A great little jacket. It's similar to the silver Warehouse one that I have. I love the fact that although it is printed, it is all in one colour. It's a great way to make an entry into the print scene for anyone who is a bit wary of prints.


This printed jumper taps into the whole graphic trend which is so big this season. Louis Vuitton did it big style with huge checks, which is probably where the inspiration for this jumper came from. I like the fact that it is accessible and that it is wearable now - even better!


This smaller graphic print is worn on a shirt. It's more subtle than the jumper and again, a good way to start wearing prints.


Sheer panelling is a big trend for the season too, as shown at Dior. This is the first piece that I have seen on the high street with sheer panelling in it. Because of the length of the skirt, the sheer panel falls in a place which is not too obscene! I love this skirt. It's a really classic style with a modern twist but it would need to be styled really well to avoid the frump factor.


I loved the colour and print of this dress. I held it up to check the length and it was knee length on me, so it could be worth trying at some point to see whether it might be an option. I can imagine it with bare legs and taupe/mushroom/tan ankle boots when the weather starts to warm up and then with sandals in the summer. Just add a Pashley bicycle for the Diane Kruger/Laura Bailey look!


Such a fab statement necklace - with orange, yellow, aqua, lilac, pale pink and chandeliers too! It was one of my favourite finds. At £30 it's not cheap but it could be used to lift any plain jumper or t-shirt, or to add interest to darker pieces. Definitely one worth investigating.


Topshop even had a lovely selection of bright scarves which just added to the excitement.


These cigarette style trousers are the same style as the spotty ones that I have and which I was wearing in this month's Easy Living article. They would work really well with not only the plainer colours such as navy/grey/white but also with a hot pink or bright yellow top (see the jumper below).


For anyone who wanted one, here's a closer look at the print.


Topshop isn't the obvious place for an evening dress but this one is really pretty...


...with great detailing on the bodice. V Kate Middy! It reminds me of a dress that she wore with some fab Jimmy Choos. It was quite revealing but it looked great on her.


Not one for me but it's a fantastic print and the structure was great. Lovely for someone with a different life/age/shape/legs!


I have admired this brocade printed dress for a few weeks now. It also comes in shorts for those brave enough! Again it won't be for everyone but it's nice to have some choice.


Love this cropped yellow jumper, which also comes in blue.


And one or two other things that I spotted. I love brogues and don't need any more but if I did happen to be on the hunt for a pair, these would be high on my list of possibilities. They are from Clarks and come in black, tan and a sort of grey colour too. I like Clarks for its half sizes and its comfort!
 

And finally the one piece in Zara that I did like. A spring parka in different shades of green and grey. In fact I think that the Zara parka and the Clarks brogues would look great together.


I hope that there was a little bit of something for everyone here. If nothing else, hopefully it may encourage some to go and have a wander around Topshop. Just borrow a nearby teenager if it makes you feel more comfortable!