Pages

Friday 12 October 2012

Style Guile - Where I get my Style Inspiration

Apologies to the 12 of you who saw this post earlier when it was in its draft form and when, for some reason, it decided to publish itself.

Anyway, I don't know whether this the post will be helpful or not - I hope so. If not, please feel free to move on!

People often ask me where I get my style inspiration from, so I thought that I would show you a photo to illustrate how I go about creating new outfits. I am sure that this is nothing mind blowing to many of you, or indeed any of you - but it may just help some.

I saw this picture in Grazia this week. I can't make it any bigger but the issue is still current and you can see it on page 63. The photo is of the American DJ and model Leigh Lezark at Paris Fashion week.

This outfit is simple but really effective. All black with pink highlights - in the lipstick and shoes. It would be easy to re-create to suit different situations and tweaked to suit different body shapes and personal preferences.

The fuller skirt and fitted top are perfect for pear shaped ladies, as is the belt, but someone with a curvier bust may opt for a v neck top, and someone with slender hips may opt for more of a pencil style skirt.


Adding in a pink lipstick (with pink shoes) would be easy enough - or a red lipstick (with red shoes) if that's what you prefer. They need not be expensive.  If I was going to them wear for an evening out, or somewhere that I wasn't walking too far, I would probably look to New Look/Primark/H&M first.



Obviously these shoes are very OTT but you get the idea. This look could also work with black ankle length trousers instead of a skirt, or for someone who doesn't like bright shoes, a bright belt or bag could be substituted for them instead. For those who shy away from bright lips, opt for bright pink nails (I like Rimmel 60 seconds drying nailvarnish). It's the formula of outfits that often makes them work - it's just a case of working out how to adapt them to suit your shape, your budget and your lifestyle.

A lot of what is in magazines is just too much for everyday life - most often due to expense, but that can normally be worked around, or impracticality or just general outrageousness. Outfits that work for Paris Fashion Week, or on London fashionistas, would look ridiculous in another City, in a supermarket or on the school run. So, it's a case of taking the images that you like and re-working them - tweaking the length of the skirt, toning down the shimmer, finding more subtle prints, adding in tights, lowering the height of the heels and so on until it works for you.

Have a great Friday night!