Pages

Wednesday 17 October 2012

Mum on the Run - a new shaped dress to try???

Occasionally a new style of dress comes along which slowly starts to gather pace and over time, becomes more and more popular.

This season the drop waist dress is creeping into our consciousness - bear with me on this one - I am going to give you a few different options!

This hot pink and black dress by Victoria Beckham was one of the first dresses that I can recall in this style (well, since the 1980's at least, when I definitely had one or two that I used to wear to our school disco!)


Clearly this style dress isn't going to be for everyone - I get that - but if you can get over the mental image of wearing one whilst dancing to "Come on Eileen" or "Hey Mickey" then it might be worth trying one.

I think that it's nice when something fresh comes on the scene and given that wrap dresses, lovely as they are, plus prom style dresses, shift dresses and so on have been with us for so long, it's good to have a new kid on the block. So, here are some options:

Jaeger Boutique has several dresses in this style and they seem to have adopted it as a mainstay this season.

First of all there's this Emma Drop Waist dress (£120). It's simple, understated and doesn't scream "look at me". I would keep the outfit simple, maybe adding a necklace or chunky cuff and heels - perhaps shoe boots - and for me that would be that.

For someone with giraffe like legs, I would love to see this paired with some amazing open toe shoe boots which come slightly higher up the leg - not a look I could pull off.



For a more casual take on the look, also by Jaeger Boutique, there's this Jessie check wool blend dress (£120). This gives a nod towards the heritage trend. It would need to be styled with edgy and sophisticated shoes or boots and accessories or else there could be slight cowgirl connotations. I wouldn't attempt this dress, preferring the above one instead - but I have no doubt that others could pull it off.


The third dress by Jaeger Boutique is this Cindy Jacquard Spot Dress (£160). Clearly here it is styled in a really youthful way (which I must admit to finding slightly disturbing) but if the ankle socks and pink shoes were lost and again replaced by something altogether more edgy and sophisticated, it could take on a whole different look.



For a more grown up take on the trend, you could look to thisRockefeller dress merlot (£275) by the Fold, London. Slightly longer in length, and with the addition of sleeves, this may be a more appealing option to some.


Below is a picture of Victoria from Feathers and Frills wearing the above dress, which looks fantastic on her - really elegant and just a little different. What glossy locks too!



Finally, again from Jaeger Boutique, there's this Jersey swing hem dress (£180). It's not a drop waist dress but is of a similar silhouette to the above styles and could be styled in exactly the same way, enabling you to reference the look, without taking it on head on.



Are any of you tempted by a drop waist dress? I have one in a bag right by me waiting to be tried. I'm not going to promise to share the looks with you - but I will report back in due course.