Pages

Saturday 26 May 2012

On the Run - I said that I would never wear them again but I did.

It came into my head as I was awoken at a very early hour, that I needed to own a pair of shorts. I last wore shorts almost exactly 12 years ago to the day when we were on holiday in France with our one and only child at the time, who was 18 months old. I swore after that that I would never wear them again. In fact it was only this week that I gave assurances that I would never, ever be seen in a pair of shorts again - and I meant it.

The other thing about that holiday that I remember was being utterly and totally exhausted.  Being a new parent with a child who doesn't sleep and who feeds round the clock is such hard work isn't it?

However, with the arrival of our two nephews today I decided that I needed shorts - why, I am not sure. I think it is partly that I haven't really got a summer skirt that I like but that I have several tops which I do like and not much to put  with them if it is really hot.  It also had something to do with visions of leaping here there and everywhere to intercept missiles from the three year old but whatever it was, I was glad for the excuse to (re) introduce an item into my Wardrobe.


So, off we headed bright and early into Birmingham. I knew exactly where I wanted to go and as I also needed to pick up clothes for the children and with the promise of ice-cream, milkshakes and a new paddling pool, I had a very willing crew on board.

Once in my store of choice (the Gap), I selected my shorts, asked them to remove the security tag, put on the shirt I had taken with me to wear with them and left the store in an entirely new outfit within about 4.5 minutes (fortunately remembering to pay on the way out.)



A local firm of solicitor's had invited me to their Jubilee Garden Party today which I was delighted to attend - so the above outfit was worn with that in mind, as opposed to being in the garden with 5 children. 

The Garden Party was also in aid of the Edward's Trust, a local charity which provides support services for families and children.  There was an exhibition of artwork and poems written by children who had lost either a parent, friend or sibling.  Oh my gosh, talk about being moved to tears.  I felt very privileged to get a peek into their world. I now just need to think of the best way of doing something to help the charity.

With my shorts I wore a Whistles silk blouse, which is several years old now, a Reiss gold belt which I bought in the sale, Carvela snakeprint  kupkake wedges and my Russell and Bromley bag, which I have been using for a few days now and I which I can't face changing as I had a mass tidy up last night and put all of my others away.

So, I fear that the shorts will get a lot of outings in the next few days, before I change my mind and decide that I won't be wearing them again, not in 12 years, not ever.